This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Living with Bob and "Al" Epiphany part 1 of 4

Epiphany part 1
Several weeks ago Sheri was speaking to Bob's healthcare coordinator about getting back out to look at care faculties for wait lists and she was asking about what other help Sheri thought she needed right now, a topic Sheri is not good at evaluating. Sheri has been struggling with Bobs showers and mentioned it to his worker, and they discussed maybe bringing someone in to the house to help with that but Sheri's work schedule was going to make this challenging. Then Sheri had Bob's quarterly review with the daycare and found out that the daycare could do his showers and foot care. Sheri was very excited to hear this realizing it would lift one burden off of her shoulders. She could not really imagine how they would accomplish this though. She could see embarrassment and humiliation written all over this situation for "Mr. Bob" the boss at "work". She was extremely nervous and nervous for Bob as the first shower day approached.

7 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration - wishing you all the best (from UK)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri you are a incredible woman and doing an amazing job juggling work and caregiver to your husband. I am a caregiver to my husband with dementia and it takes alot of strength I don't know how you do both. You are in my prayers and I pray that god continues to give you the strength you need. (from Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Devore ~ Bob's PA high school friend, now in NC.July 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM

    Oh, Sheri, you are so lucky to have the day care facility that you do have. We have friends with no choices at all. I'm sure it will be difficult for him and you. But you know that the place and people are wonderful and that they will be better than strangers. We had a friend here who needed help each morning and some weeks there was a different person showing up to help him every day. I'm sure you and Bob (and even Al) will manage somehow. Have faith but be watchful. There's no place like home with loved ones but sometimes it's just not possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ok to delegate and share responsibilities. It's ok to let someone else do some of the care chores. I don't change my car's oil, I don't cut my own hair... I could, but I don't. You don't have to be the one to give showers. You could, but you don't have to, you don't have to do it all. HUGS

    ReplyDelete