This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Living with Bob and "Al"

Sometimes,when Sheri thinks back to all the odd behaviors that were probably signs that something was wrong, Sheri gets mad at herself for not paying closer attention. She knows it is not her fault or Bob's for that matter... but she still thinks about it and wonders how to educate younger people about the disease.When Sheri was 45 this disease never crossed her mind.

5 comments:

  1. Sheri, has Bob ever displayed symptoms of paranoia? My husband has and alone with that is very increased anger. Other times he's kind and appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, No I don't think I would call it paranoia. Well maybe once or twice. I am sorry you are having those additional challenges. :(

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandy, my dad is doing the paranoia and increased anger lately. My sister and I end up needing more breaks/relief from that because it's exhausting and are having to strategize to pick which things to battle with him (such as not driving) and having to let go of other issues. We need the breaks in order to think clearly and calmly and not get drained by his negative emotions. Good luck to you.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean Sheri. I think when this strikes the family and you are younger you just don't realize that some of the "odd" behaviors that manifest are the "beginning". When I think back now I often wonder-- How On earth did I not see that.. On the other hand-- as we all know.. no two patients are the same-- so How could we know even if we were on the Lookout..My Bobs first behaviors were so odd-- I thought he was "being a jerk".. we almost split up. He would ask women out right in front of me.. I would look at him and say "REALLY?"-- he would say--"You can go too"..Um hello?.. I hate what this disease does to people. Such a tough battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I had a plan for divorce too. I was just waiting for the girls to graduate high school. Such a bizarre disease. Hugs to you.

      Delete